Saturday 9 January 2010

I did it!

I ran the Great Winter Run in 25mins and 09 seconds!!!!
The course had to be shortened because of bad weather, so the 5k was actually only 4k... but I dont care, Im over joyed with my time since it was my first ever race. Bring on more where they came from any day!

Here is the recap (with pictures...)

It started snowing this morning which wasn't really the best way to start a race, but I pulled on my running gear and made a pact with myself - I complete this I can hibernate for the rest of the day... So I grabbed my brekkie of porridge (with flax seed on top) and some green tea with citrus.


Then it was time to go and meet the Fudge down at the Parliament and get cracking with the pre race warm up, photos and general chit chat. Fudge has ran before and shes pretty ace at it, so her chat helped calm my nerves.






I thought it would be best to layer up, so I had on 2 sports bras, a sports crop top type thing and a nike running top... all covered with a HUGE hoodie.... needless to say even in -7 at 11:40am I was roasting so I whipped off the sweater to reveal RACING KMAC.



The race itself went great, I was really worried about running in the snow but all that I did was adjust my pace and keep myself focused on what I wanted - sub 30mins. The first 2k were killers, running on snow and ice covered grass and the 2nd kilometer was uphill on snowy grass. I had to walk about 500m as I was loosing my footing.
Crossing the hill and onto the final 2k felt far better, the sense of being 1/2 way through and also running down hill helped. Everyone was in great spirits and lots of people were cheering as we passed.

I saw the sign I'd been looking for all during the race... FINISH.. and just sprinted it out.


My ipod/nike training time said 28mins 42 secs but that started from when I started walking in my corral towards the start line, my official race stats....


Time: 25mins and 9 secs

Overall Placement : 964 (over 2000 people were running)


Fudgy and I met at the finish line....

And then it was time to collect my things and come home for a lovely warm bath and mug of green tea with orange and lotus flower!

Overall a great day, great race and I'm so proud of myself that I managed to run that distance. Kilimanjaro better watch out. Kmac is coming.

Kmac xx

2 comments:

  1. yeay us... we're fab....& of course humungous thanks to Mr Fudge for the offical photos, support & thermos of coffee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how hardcore running in just a vest in this weather! Mind, I can't stand layering up for a run either as I over heat really easily.

    Well done to you both :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete